Sunday 8 May 2011

My Mother in Miniature


The top photo is one of the few I have of my mother as a small girl: the second is of my granddaughter, taken about a year ago.  If you darken Little Stuff's eyebrows and hair in your imagination you should see a resemblance.

It is more than just the facial structure and mouth.  I watched Little Stuff at her gym meet this morning, sober, focused, determined.  And I saw my mother, in miniature, in so many ways.

And Little Stuff did her stuff, too.  She stuck every apparatus, did every move as perfectly as she could, ignoring the crowd and the cameras and the action all over the gym.  She got great scores and was very pleased with herself.  As were we.  I only wish my mother could have seen her.

6 comments:

  1. It's just how those genes come out when you roll the die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AC, all I have to do is look at photos of your daughers and granddaughter to see where the genetic dice landed in your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is lovely. Happy Mother's Day, and thank you for sharing. My husband and i often compare our daughter to my mother, but in a less flattering light. They're both overly particular and blunt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do see a resemblance! It's so fascinating to see how both physical traits and personality traits get passed on. How wonderful that you get to see such lovely aspects of your mother in Little Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grama is wearing a fascinator! Lovely pics, both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. both are lovely, isn't it nice when we glimpse the past in our future :)

    ReplyDelete