Thursday 21 October 2010

Idiomatic

After some brooding about the latest 365 prompt, I realized that I have at least one photo in the ready pile that answers it.

We have a lot of buildings around here with the characteristic 'doghouse' on the top - old and decrepit ones, new and spiffy ones, big ones, tiny ones.  In Eastern Ontario a building with a doghouse on the roof is a sugar shack or sugar camp, a building used to boil down maple sap until it becomes syrup.  The 'doghouse' has removable sides and when the sap is boiling, the excess steam escapes through it, making the main part of the building less steamy and improving visibility.

 087/365 - idiomatic - an old sugar camp on Concession 2.

4 comments:

  1. Well, this former city slicker didn't know about that doghouse thingamajiggy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You taught me something as well, I've seen "doghouses" on top of the turkey barns but had now idea they served a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is something new that I have learnt today. I find it very interesting to learn about other cultures.(Not that yours is so very different from mine!) Traditions are the different thing mainly.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew what that was and what it was for but I didn't know it was called a "doghouse." Interesting. I might post a very different "In the dog house" shot later this week. Not sure yet if it merits shooting, though.

    ReplyDelete